Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Running with Butterflies

That's the title of a book if I ever write it. Anywho...

I've been running now somewhat on and off for a little over two years now. I usually feel pretty bad about my running abilities. I am a slow runner-about 11 minutes/mile is about my standard. Which means there are old people who run faster than I do. I think I could do OK for a 5K, and maybe even a 10K (which I'm hoping to do this summer), but I'm not sure I could qualify for the Boston Marathon because I'm so slow (you have to do a qualifying half marathon first). I can run for lengths of time...today I ran for 62 minutes. I'm just not sure I went all that far.

But something else happened today that actually made my running feel better. I was running at the Broad Meadow Brook wildlife sanctuary, one of my all time favorite places in Worcester, and as I came off of a trail and onto a wider gravel path that would take me back to the street, a butterfly came out of the reeds and flew alongside me. It wasn't that long-only about 10 seconds, but the fact of the matter was that our paces were perfectly matched! And then, as I was running back along the same path, another butterfly did the same thing!

So if anyone tries to tell me anything about my running speed being so slow (including my own subconscious), I know that I can run with butterflies. And that's pretty cool.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

you COULD qualify; if you run for charity you don't need a fast time....

thanks for visiting my blog; and glad to hear you are running! I started running more often this past year with my fiance (we tried to get the mileage to meet in the middle between Philadelphia and Boston) and we just kept going... we have logged like 500 miles in the last 4 months :)

and that's beautiful about the butterflies :)

Unknown said...

This is so funny because I had a butterfly tag along with me while running a few weeks ago! Thanks for sharing your experience, so I know I'm not alone.