Thursday, January 17, 2008

Crappy Week

What a crap week. Monday started out OK, with my two classes going well and everything. But then on Tuesday everything started to go downhill. I went to my two classes (which were great), but when I got up from history I'd pulled something in my back and could hardly walk. I've been having back pain since November, but this was unlike anything I'd ever experienced. So I made my way (slowly) over to the health center, where they told me they thought I had a herniated disc and gave me some painkillers. I took the naproxen twice but never touched the perkiset (sp?). Anyway, that night was horrible. I couldn't move, I was all alone, and nothing seemed to go right. I could barely get off the couch. This sort of thing always seems to happen to me when I'm alone. LAME. So then yesterday was OK I guess. Still back pain, but nothing particularly bad. However, Tuesday has put me behind in a couple of classes and it's only the first week! I still have more Chaucer reading to do when I'm done writing this, and then OT. Have to have Amos read by tomorrow. And the Book of the Duchess in Chaucer. Sheesh. Then today I found out that my boss forgot to submit my timesheet, so I don't get paid this week. On top of that I got in trouble at work for "noticing people's books." Apparently it's a violation of some kind of confidentiality if I "notice" what people check out. What happened was this: a guy who has been getting tons of stuff on reserve about a particular topic came in to check them out. Having "noticed" these books, I asked him what he was researching, and then we got into a really good conversation and I met a really interesting person. All because I had "noticed" his books. I notice things. It's just part of who I am. I feel like I'm being asked to turn that part of me off. Too bad I need the money. I like the people I work with, but it's going to be hard not to ask people how they liked a certain book or what they're working on. That's how you start conversations and get to know people! God forbid I do that. So that was really really tough. It just felt so...personal. It wouldn't if I weren't the sort of observant person I am, but there it is.

So I'm glad tomorrow's Friday. I just want Rick to be here and to veg a bit and forget about this stupid week.

On a different note, I checked out Jesus Camp from the library today. I heard it was a very balanced look at the born again movement among young children, but I never saw it (I didn't want to if it demonized these people, but apparently it really doesn't). So I'm hoping to watch it some time this weekend, if not when Rick is here then on Monday night. I'll let you all know how it is.

Classes for the semester: OT Interpretation 2 (prof is hilarious), Reformation Europe (the historical area I want to specialize in with a good prof), Milton (also great prof and a grad seminar with only 8 people in it so far), and Chaucer (with another great prof and also a grad seminar with about 18 in it). 3 of the classes meet downtown which is different but I like it. It's nice to get off the hill and study in the Bass library (it's underground!!!). And the grad seminars, while they may be a lot of work, look like they're going to be great. FINALLY! Small classes! Woohoo! I'll let you know about potential paper topics as well, once I finally settle on them.

Alright now I must go. It's 8:15 and I still have 14 large pages of Chaucer's middle English to get through. And the book of Amos.

Later.

No comments: