Monday, December 17, 2007

Snow, Finals, and Books

Well I have one final done, and now only one left to go. OT was this morning...it wasn't too bad, although I don't think I did that hot on the Bible IDs...they were selections totally different from the ones I had studied, but I think I did fine on the essays. I'm not too worried about it, really, and it's over so that's good. Now on to Patristics, for which I'm going to have to study hardcore over the next couple of days. I would study at the library tomorrow, but I work tomorrow night and would prefer not to spend from 9 am to 11pm there. It might drive me crazy, especially considering that I'm working there on Wednesday morning as well. Crazy.

Things are snowy here. Worcester got a ton of snow on Sunday, and New Haven got snow and ice. There was already a bunch of snow on the ground, and now it's covered in an icy layer so that when you step on the snow you don't sink. In fact, you're more likely to fall on your ass than anything else. It looks like everything has been coated in cake frosting. I felt really bad earlier--there was an older gentleman holding himself up with a crutch trying to get his van out of the ice and snow that had plowed him in. Unfortunately I've been having back problems and I don't own a good shovel (don't really need one), so there wasn't much I could do.

Christmas shopping is done, which is good. Well, except for the thing Rick and I are getting Blaine, but I think he's going to pick that up and bring it down with him when he comes for New Years.

I've got quite a reading list for Christmas break. Aside from the summer, it's the one time of year when I can sit and read whatever I want whenever I want and I don't have to read for retention. So I've come up with a list of a few books I'd like to read over break, all of which I've already ordered from the library and will probably pick up tomorrow. Here they are:
Bluest Eye and Beloved, both my Toni Morrison
The Natural History of Make-Believe by Goldthwaite (I'm working on this one now)
My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok
Blood of the Fold by Terry Goodkind
and, if I can get to it, A Brief History of Time by Steven Hawking
Oh and Candide by Molliere (the last two are some of Rick's favorites, so I thought I'd give em a read and see what I thought).

I have no idea how many of these I will actually get through, but I'm planning to enjoy thoroughly my first real Christmas break since I graduated from WKU (Harvard had finals after Christmas, so there were always papers to write and finals to study for during the holidays). On Demand cable and books and family and friends are my plans for the break. Oh and New Year's with Rick. Woohoo!

Now I just have to get that final out of the way....I wish it were take home. Oh well. C'est la vie.

No comments: