Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Back in Beantown

Hello hello hello. As the title of this posting shows, I am indeed back in Boston now. I got in yesterday after a veeeeeerry long drive from West Virginia. I think Pennsylvania wins the award for most boring state through which to drive. Ugh. Anyway, I moved in yesterday and got all unpacked and everything, so my room is actually livable! For those of you who saw my room last year, you will be pleased to note that I do in fact have floor space this year, as my room is bigger. There are three windows, so I have really really great light in here, which is awesome. That's the whole reason I wanted the room, really.

Now that I'm back, I can start to digest the summer a little bit, I think. Overall, I want to give a big shout out to Charles Hawkins and the St. Mark's crew. I had such a great experience there this summer...that church welcomed me into their family without even knowing me too well, and they even put up with me preaching a coupl eof times and filling the church with the music of U2. I wasn't really sure what to expect when the internship started. I've been so involved in the Episcopal Church form the git go...but I did learn something about ministry. And that something is this: ministry is about empowerment. It's about empowering people to do the work God has given them to do. And the best thing about this definition of ministry is that it can be done ANYWHERE, which means that the church is EVERYWHERE. So that's pretty sweet.

I miss the fam tons already, most especially getting to see Blaine and look at his beautiful smile. I can still feel the little guy falling asleep in my arms...he'll probably be too big to do that in December. Oh well, kids grow up. And in a few years, he and I are going camping. And it's going to rock.

I met with Mike Dangelo today to talk about AND... I'm focusing on recruitment, which is going to be interesting. Neither of us really have any preconceived notions about our strategy (read: we have no idea what the hell we're going to do) but we'll do it anyway : ) At least now we have matching t-shirts. He asked me if I wanted to present the next container (programing sequence) and I said sure. I figure I'll ask the group what they want to hear about, but I think it would be cool to do a container on the other four of the world's major religions. Just so people know something about them...not to mention that's something I know about and can speak comfortably about. But then again it would be fun to learn something new as well. Or maybe do a container on Jesus? No clue. We'll see what the group wants.

What else? Ran a bunch of errands today. Joined the Cambridge YMCA, did laundry, found my keys (they were in Sarah's room...go figure), met with Mike. Oh and I got a really random phone call from an old priest who'd been at my church from when I was about 2 til I was 10. Said he had some books he wanted to give me. This was weird A. because he called my cell phone. No clue how he got the number. And B. because I haven't talked to him in 10 years. I don't think I'm going to call him back...it's too weird. Not to mention that I barely have room for the books I have.

That's all I can think of for now. The humidity is making my hair get huge and mushroom-like. Fun times.

Have a good night.

Peace ya'll.

No comments: