Monday, April 21, 2008

Summer Beer is Here!

I just realized that it's been a week since my last post. My life is so taken over with papers and such that I forget what day it is. Oh well. Anyway, Rick and I had a great weekend this past week. Friday night we went to Imperial, which is only the best Chinese buffet around. And I didn't have to work so I got to his house early, put a chair outside, read my book and drank beer. Huzzah! And then on Saturday while Rick had to work I planted grass seed and washed and waxed my car. I only did one coat of wax, but it made a huge difference. Then it was off to church (for which we were late, but only because I was really dirty from yard work and car washing and Rick washed his car too), but we made it. Then back to the house, grab the cooler, and off to the drive-in! It's one of our favorite past times, both before we met each other and now together. There's no better way to watch a movie than at the drive-in. And there are several near Rick's house. The one we went to was a little bit of a hike (halfway to Providence RI in Mendon) but it was definitely worth it! We saw Horton Hears a Who and Nim's Island. They both were OK. Horton was better than I expected, and I didn't know anything about Nim's island, but it was interesting. In a couple of weeks the drive in near the house opens. Woohoo! Up on the list to see: Harold and Kumar, Prince Caspian, and INDIANA JONES (needless to say I'm excited about that one. Who isn't?). Then yesterday we slept in and then went for an 18.5 mile bike ride. Since we were in Worcester I got to use my new bike again! It's amazing how good it feels to ride that thing. We went out into the countryside some and saw some beautiful places, so that was nice. Then it was back to New Haven.

This is the last week of classes for me. Next week is reading week and then the next week is exams. I still have so much to do, AND start packing up my apartment AND get ready for the Europe trip. It will all get done, it just makes life a little hectic.

Re: the title of this post, summer beer season is here! We have emerged from the heavy dark and spiced beers of the winter into the glorious, golden, cloudy days of the wheat beers of summer. Needless to say, summer is my favorite season. Not because of the beer, but that's an added bonus! Favorites:
Sam Adams Summer: Sam is a staple around here, and while the Boston Lager isn't necessarily my favorite beer of all time, Sam's Summer Ale is pretty amazing. It's cloudy, it's flavorful and doesn't necessarily need the orange or lemon slice with it.
Sam Adams Cherry Wheat: This isn't really a summer seasonal, except for back home. In MA you can get it all year round, but I think it will always have summer associations for me. This is my mom's favorite, and I like it as well. It's pretty fruity though, so if you don't like fruity beers, don't go for this one! But it has a nice full-bodied flavor, unlike some fruit beers I've tried.
Wachusett Summer Ale: This is a local favorite. We live about 30 minutes from the brewery and have a growler, so we go up there on weekends when we can to get it filled. The people there are awesome and they make a great brew. This is an interesting beer. I always thought it was cloudy, but I guess I never paid attention. The one I poured last night was clear, which is weird for a wheat beer. But it has a great flavor, and the lemon is not too overpowering. A definite must-have if you're in a locale where this beer is available.
Blue Moon They've started coming out with beer for all seasons (Full Moon, Harvest Moon, and New Moon I think is the spring) but the regular Blue Moon is still a favorite. And it's the one I can find most consistently on tap when I go places. Great flavor, great color, nice and cloudy, and perfect with an orange.
Goose Island I can't remember the name of their wheat beer, but it's really good. This is a more recent discovery. I think the brewery is in Chicago or somewhere thereabouts, but they make a great beer. Can't get it here in MA, but I like to have it when I'm home. I don't know this one as well as those above, so I can't comment on it much more, but it's good and if you can get it, I suggest you try it. I've also had their lager...but not their IPA (I don't really like IPAs in general, so it's nothing against the company)
Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat I think that's how you spell it. Anyway they're out of the midwest and make a few wheat beers, but the sunset is my favorite. Hard to find in some places, but I've been able to get it in both MA and KY, which makes me think they're expanding. Like Goose Island I haven't had this one too much, but every time I do I enjoy it.
Harpoon UFO I'm putting this on here because it's a local beer and it's not bad. If I had my choice of any of the above I would go for them, or even a Wachusett Blueberry (which I also really like) or a Sea Dog if I can find it. I'm not a huge fan of any of Harpoon's stuff, although their Irish Red isn't bad. The Harpoon Raspberry UFO is also fruity (like the Sam, but Raspberry not Cherry) and is good, but you have to be in the mood for it. The regular UFO is OK too, but again I'd go for a Sam Summer or a Blue Moon any day (which are the two other wheat beers most likely to be on tap up here).

Well, there are some hints on summer beers, if you're interested. Mom, I've already introduced you to most of these, so I'm not sure this will be very helpful for you ; ) But next time you're up here we'll go to Wachusett and Sam Adams and go on some brewery tours. Woohoo!

On another note, I've had another contact rip. These things are supposed to last me twelve months (2 each). I've had them 3 months and have gone through 4. I had one right contact tear but I'm not concerned about that. The left ones have been tearing ridiculously often. There's definitely an issue here, and hopefully I can figure it out. Until then, I'm wearing glasses, which sucks because I don't have any RX sunglasses so I spend every minute outside squinting. Joy.

OK I've procrastinated enough. To the Milton-mobile! (aka a place to read Paradise Regained).

No comments: