Friday, April 07, 2006

It's raining...

Howdy there. Not much to report on today...just went to work this morning and ran some errands this afternoon. Worked on a paper for a class...that's about it. I did get the book The Left Hand of God by Rabbi Lerner. Hopefully that will help with some of the issues I've had with the Volf book I'm reading, although I feel a little more settled about it now than I did last night. I sincerely hope that the Lerner book will be refreshing. After a while all of this "take Christianity back from the Right" stuff starts to sound the same, which is just the nature of politics. When you have a platform, you have to go with it. But since this book is coming from a Jewish perspective, I'm hoping that will help. I came up with my reading list today for the summer, although I'm sure it will grow by leaps and bounds. Thus far the "I've read" column only has three books in it, and the "Want to Read" column has about 20. Ha. To which I need to add Jeffrey Sachs's The End of Poverty. We read his Dignity of Difference book last semester, but I actually didn't really read it. It came at a time when I was really really swamped, and it was for a class that I could afford to fall behind in a little bit, so I just let it slide. Maybe I'll get to that one as well.

Let's see, what else? Oh I was thinking about intentional communities today, and how much I would love to start one with some HDS people. Maybe just find a house like the one I'm in now, get 6 or 7 others together and form an intentional Christian community, focused on working, serving, studying, praying, and living together. After my crisis last night when I was thinking about how no church holds anyone accountable for anything, I've decided I need to seek out such a community. Not to say that I'm leaving my present church. Not at all. But to find another community as well to hold me accountable...and I think an intentional community could do that. Everyone serves the community once a week or something. It's a start...so I emailed St. Francis House about volunteering, because I'm just trying to hold myself accountable at the moment. That really needs to change though. I can't go it alone; no one can. That's why we've got the church...

Peace ya'll

No comments: