Thursday, April 06, 2006

Mental Overload

I'm still working on the Volf. Although by now a few pages of it looks like Talmud excerpts...I still think it's a good book, but I don't think he goes far enough in his requirements for us to give. I had a great conversation with Mike at church tonight about it, and when I mentioned a sermon from Duke I'd recently listened to, he said it's about checking your community. Do you have a community that holds you accountable. And I replied that's just it-the church is supposed to hold people accountable, but it doesn't!!!! I have so many questions right now about the role of the church in the world, and how to execute that role. Needless to say, I don't feel like all that great of a person of faith right now...I feel like there's so much more I could do, but I'm too attached to it. For example, how do I justify passing up the guy on the street asking me for spare change as i leave Tower Records with the Chronicles of Narnia on DVD? I don't know. I can't justify it...but i'm so caught up in this web of materialism and consumerism that sometimes it feels like I just can't get out of it. Not that I'm overly materialistic...I think I'm less so than many people I know. Only when it comes to books, movies, and music do I feel that I spend. But maybe that's moderation. But, and this is the key question, in a world of so much poverty and so much pain, is moderation enough?

I have to get some sleep and try and settle down. I'm kinda riled up from all of this thinkin'. And my sinuses and starting to hurt a bit, so it's bedtime.

Peace ya'll.

No comments: